After testing the program Amtrak now welcomes dogs and cats (up to 20 lbs) to ride the rails with their owners. The cost is $25.
As someone who lives in a city where parking is costly or impossible I welcome this policy. I gave up owning a car years ago and the option to travel with my pet by train is a valuable travel option.
Pets on Amtrak may travel on trips of up to seven hours on most routes although some restrictions apply.
- To make reservations customers can call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit any staffed station.
- A total of five pets are allowed per train, one pet percustomer, and pet reservations are made on a first- come, first-served basis. Amtrak strongly encourages you to make your pet reservations in advance as they may sell out.
- Pets may travel in Coach Class, but are not allowed in food service cars and other areas such as Business Class.
- Service animals are always welcome on Amtrak and do not count toward the five pet limit per train.
- The pet fare is $25.00 for each travel segment.
- At staffed stations, customers should check in at the ticket office 30 minutes before departure to allow sufficient time to confirm pet eligibility and sign a waiver.
- At unstaffed stations, the conductor will confirm pet eligibility and provide customers with the waiver.
- Before your trip, find your station and check to see if it is staffed.
- Signing a waiver is required for each leg of travel.
On Board Guidelines
- You will need to remain with your pet at all times. Pets must remain inside carriers while in stations and on board trains.
- On board, place your pet carrier under your seat (not under the seat in front of you), except on Amtrak Cascades trains where you can put your pet carrier on the floor in front of the seat next to you.
- Some routes designate a specific Coach car for pets: Amtrak Cascades, Carl Sandburg, Illinois Zephyr, Illini, Saluki, Pere Marquette, Wolverine, Blue Water, Hiawatha and Missouri River Runner. On other pet friendly routes, you and your pet may ride in any Coach car.
Approved Pet Carriers
• You will need to provide your own pet carrier which counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
Complete information can be found HERE